Friday, February 4, 2011

Walking My Way To Health

Getting fit this year is one of the best things on my mind (okay, every year, that is, haha). A major department store held 3 days of glorious mall-wide sale and DH bought me a pair of Skecher's Shape-Ups -- my first ever (you better believe me!) walking shoes. Because I don't have the time to go to the gym. Here is a photo of my shoes, which I've been using after my class, when I walk around my alma mater's academic oval... :)


Image courtesy of Bargain EZ


It is indeed built to be used as a walking shoe, and to post a review from About.com Guide, Wendy Bumgardner, here is what she has to say about Skecher's Shape-Ups. Her review is pretty much closer to what I also think and have to voice out about this fitness shoe. Read along...

Skechers Shape-ups Walking Shoe

Skechers Shape-Ups walking shoes are designed to stimulate more muscles and balance with a rocker sole with a soft kinetic wedge. The rocker sole enhances the natural walking motion of rolling through a step from heel to toe. The sole is designed in three layers with a firm midsole for support and a super soft foam kinetic wedge that absorbs shock with each step and simulates walking in soft sand. This combination seeks to activate more muscles to develop balance and posture and tone leg and buttock muscles.

Rocker Sole Shoes

The Skechers Shape-Ups are similar to the Swiss Masai Barefoot Technology (MBT) shoes, with a rocker sole designed to activate and tone more muscles during daily activities or fitness walking. The Skechers Shape-ups stress their soft kinetic wedge sole. This sole provides super shock absorption and a slightly unstable walking platform. This makes the body compensate, activating core muscles and balance training.

The rocker sole enforces a good heel-to-toe walking stride with roll through the step. The extra rear extension exercises the leg and buttock muscles in new ways, which can lead to toning.

I found these shoes to be extremely comfortable right out of the box. The toe box is wide enough for my wide feet. I think these would be great shoes for people who must stand for long periods each day, where cushioning and the slight instability would help prevent fatigue.

However, these are heavy shoes, as are the Swiss MBT shoes. They are simply too heavy for me to wear comfortably. With a short stroll, I appreciated the cushioning but felt strain in my knees. I could immediately feel my quads working trying to pick up my feet. Some walkers will like that extra workout. But those of us with any knee, ankle or hip problems may have them stressed in ways we would rather protect them from. I am generally opposed to heavy shoes for this reason.

Skechers recommends using Shape-ups only for shorter walks of 25 to 45 minutes per day until your body has adjusted to them. Skechers Shape-ups come with a training CD.

Bottom Line on Skechers Shape-Ups

Skechers Shape-ups are about half of the price of the Swiss MBT shoes, but are still in the $80-$120 range. They come in both athletic and lifestyle styles. I would suggest using them as crosstraining shoes rather than using them to train for walking events. A walker might wear them for a shorter walk each day or every-other day in addition to walking in athletic walking shoes. They provide a different workout from regular walking. Be aware of any joint pain developing that can be a sign of overuse injuries.
And now from Skechers, here is the Shape-Ups Instructional video, a CD copy of which is included when purchasing a pair for yourself. Enjoy!



Walking:
The most ancient exercise
and still the best modern exercise.
Carrie Latet


No comments:

Post a Comment