Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A 'Bookish' Afternoon

This morning I received two full crates of old books from my mother-in-law when she cleaned a room in her home full of various kinds of pocket books. She really knows the things I like.

As usual, when Yani brought the two crates here, my eyes not only feasted on what I saw, but my senses started to work their way into checking all the titles I like. The saying, "One man's trash is another's treasure" works well for me when it comes to books...

I naturally kept the classics that I don't have -- classical authors (like English poets, for instance) whose works I studied as an English Creative Writing student in the academe, and because I know that books like so would help my children love the literary classics too, when they are ready for bigger words someday...



I pulled aside some detective or super sleuth books of Agatha Christie, Alfred Hitchcock and Perry Mason. I like reading them, and get a thrill as I try to solve mysteries alongside the heroes in their stories...



There were several spiritual and inspirational books also, like the life of the apostle Luke, and works of Og Mandino and others...



Lastly, I pulled out some love stories, which I would find time to read one of these days. I would like to venture into some light reading in my spare time when I am not teaching in school...



Now this picture shows Gina and DH reading a book they've gotten their hands on while I was busy inspecting my loot. Notice what each one is holding, and where one's hand is into while reading along... :D



What we become depends on what we read
after all of the professors have finished with us.
The greatest university of all is a collection of books.
Thomas Carlyle


No comments:

Post a Comment